Грамматические упражнения «Past Tenses»
1. Choose the best answer.
Usually, whenever Peter (1). home from a trip he (2). his passport in his desk drawer, but in January, after a trip to Poland, he (3). his passport in the pocket of his overcoat. Two weeks later, he (4). fly to Thailand. While (5). his bag he (6). that he (7). a note of the name of the hotel that his company (8). for him. He (9). for his flight online earlier that morning, but he (10). about the hotel details. While he (11). his office, the doorbell (12). His taxi for the airport (13). He (14). the details of the hotel,(15). his bag and (16). out of the house. He (17). forward to a few sunny days in Bangkok. While he (18). how nice it would be to walk around the city without heavy winter clothes, he suddenly (19). that he (20). his passport in his overcoat.
D used to check in
2.Underline the most suitable verb form in each sentence. The first one is done for you.
1 I suddenly remembered that I forgot I had forgotten my keys.
2 While Diana watched / was watching her favourite television programme, there was a power cut.
3 Tom used to live / would live in the house at the end of the street.
4 Who was driving /drove the car at the time of the accident?
5 By the time Sheila got back, Chris went / had gone.
6 David ate / had eaten Japanese food before, so he knew what to order.
7 I did / was doing some shopping yesterday, when I saw that Dutch friend of yours.
8 I used to like / was liking sweets much more than I do now.
9 What exactly were you doing / did you do when I came into your office yesterday?
10 Laura missed the party because no-one was telling / had told her about it.
11 Tanya would / used to be a doctor.
3.Put each verb in brackets into a suitable past verb form. Only use the past perfect where this is absolutely necessary.
1 While I (try) …. to get my car started, a passing car (stop) . and the driver (offer). to help me.
2 The police (pay). no attention to Jos complaint because she (phone). them so many times before.
3 Mary (not wear). her glasses at the time, so she (not notice). what kind of car the man (drive).
4 Nick (lie). down on the grass for a while, next to some tourists who (feed). the ducks.
5 Tony (admit). that he (hit). the other car, but said that he (not damage). it.
6 Sorry, I (not listen). to you. I (think). about something else.
7 Helen (feel). very tired, and when she (finish). her work, she (fall). asleep.
8 The police (get). to Toms house as fast as they could, but the burglars (disappear).
9 I (phone). you last night but you (not answer). What (you do).
10 We (not go). out yesterday because it (rain).
4. Decide whether the verb form in italics is suitable or unsuitable.
1 While I had a bath, someone knocked on the door. ….
2 Sally didn’t go to a boxing match before.
3 Harry tried to repair the car, but he didn’t really know what he was doing.
4 What did you wear to the end-of-term party.
5 Were you eating spaghetti every day when you lived in Italy.
6 I didn’t know you had bough t a new car.
7 They all wanted to believe her, but suspected she was lying .
8 As Peggy walked home, she tried to remember what happened .
9 ‘What a terrible day!’ thought Lucy. Everything had gone wrong!
10 Although it rained a lot, I was enjoying my holiday last year.
5 Put each verb in brackets into a suitable past verb form.
The Search for the Lost City
When Professor Mallory, the famous archaeologist,(1) . invited. (invite) me to take part in his expedition to find the Lost City of the Himalayas, 1(2). (not hesitate) to accept
his invitation. Mallory (3). (discover) an ancient map showing the position of the city, although no European (4). (ever go) to the area before. In fact, most of Mallory’s colleagues either (5). (believe) that the city(6). (never exist) or (7). (feel) that it(8). (vanish) long ago and (9).
(become) simply a legend. According to the Professor, the builders of the city(10). (hide) it among the mountains in order to protect its immense riches. He(11). (believe) that the descendants of these ancient people(12). (still keep) themselves apart from the rest of mankind for the very same reasons. So when we (13). (set off) on a cool May morning towards the distant mountains, each of us (14). (look forward) to exciting discoveries. For a week or more we (15). (climb) higher and higher, following the map, which Mallory(16). (study) from time to time. Then one afternoon, while we(17).
(rest) at the top of a valley, we (18). (notice) that a rider on a horse(19). (wave) at us from the other side of the valley. A rider whose clothes (20). (shine) like gold!
6 Rewrite each sentence beginning as shown. Use a participle clause.
1 Norman collected the parcel, but then he realized it was the wrong one.
After collecting the parcel Norman realized it was the wrong one.
2 Sue left the house but first she checked that she had her keys.
3 Mark was parking his car when he noticed the wing-mirror was broken. While.
4 Julia cleaned the house, but then she fell asleep on the sofa.
5 Brian bought a new television, but first he checked all the prices. Before.
6 Alan was skiing in Switzerland and met his old friend, Ken.
7 Kate took two aspirins, and then she felt a lot better.
8 Sheila went out for the evening, but first she washed her hair.
1 . 1 .C 2.B 3.A 4.C 5.B 6.C 7.A 8.D 9.B 10.C 11.A 12.D 13.D 14.C 15.A 16.A 17.B
1. had forgotten. 2. was watching. 3. used to live. 4. was driving. 5 had gone. 6. had eaten. 7. was doing. 8. used to like. 9. were you doing. 10. had told. 11. used to.
1. was trying,stopped, offered . 2. paid, had phoned. 3. was not wearing, didn’t notice,was driving. 4. lay, were feeding. 5. admitted, had hit, hadn’t damaged. 6. wasn’t listening,was thinking. 7. felt/was feeling,finished/had finished, fell. 8. got, had disappeared. 9. phoned, didn’t answer, were you doing. 10. didn’t go, was raining.
1. unsuitable . 2. unsuitable. 3. suitable. 4. suitable. 5. unsuitable. 6. suitable. 7. suitable. 8. unsuitable. 9. suitable. 10. unsuitable.
1. invited . 2. did not hesitate. 3. had discovered. 4. had ever been. 5. believed. 6. never existed/ had never existed. 7. felt. 8. had vanished. 9. become/ had become. 10. had hidden. 11. believed. 12. were still keeping/still kept. 13. set off. 14. was looking forward. 15. climbed. 16. studied. 17. were resting. 18. noticed. 19. was waving. 20. shone/ were shining.
1. After collecting the parcel, Norman realized it was the wrong one . 2. Before leaving the house, Sue checked that she had her keys. 3. While parking his car, Mark noticed the wing-mirror was broken. 4. After cleaning the house, Julia fell asleep on the sofa. 5. Before buying a new television, Brian checked all the prices. 6. While skiing in Switzerland, Alan met his old friend, Ken. 7. After taking two aspirins, Kate felt a lot better. 8. Before going out for the evening, Sheila washed her hair.
Упражнения на Past Simple с ответами и переводом
Пройдите упражнения на Past Simple, чтобы лучше запомнить, как употребляются глаголы в этом времени. Если вы не знакомы с этой темой, рекомендую сначала прочитать статью: “Past Simple – простое прошедшее время в английском языке” или посмотреть это видео:
Упражнение 1: Past Simple в утвердительной и отрицательной форме
Пройдите эти упражнения, чтобы лучше запомнить, как образуются утвердительная и отрицательная формы Past Simple. Обратите внимание, нужно правильно использовать глагол to do и неправильные глаголы.
- We played chess with Tomas yesterday. – Мы играли в шахматы с Томом вчера.
- Natalie stayed at the hotel. – Натали остановилась в отеле.
- She did not know my address. – Она не знала мой адрес.
- They saw something interesting. – Они видели что-то интересное.
- I did not understand those words. – Я не понимал тех слов.
- You heard the order. – Вы слышали приказ.
- Our parents did not trust – Наши родители не доверяли врачам.
- Helen had an idea. – У Хелен была идея.
- He did not feel any difference. – Он не почувствовал никакой разницы.
- I knew it! – Я знал это!
Упражнение 2: Past Simple в вопросительных предложениях
Это задание намного проще предыдущего, потому что в вопросах в Present Simple неправильные глаголы не играют никакой роли. Главное – не перепутать, какой нужен вспомогательный глагол.
- Did she ask any questions? – Она задавала какие-нибудь вопросы?
- Did you see them running? – Вы видели, как они бежали?
- Did Alice come back home? – Алиса вернулась домой?
- Did they notice anything? – Они что-нибудь заметили?
- When did Sandy buy this necklace? – Когда Салли купила это ожерелье?
- How much did you pay for water? – Сколько вы заплатили за воду?
- What did you find on the ground? – Что ты нашел на земле?
- Why did you cry? – Почему вы плакали?
Упражнение 3: Past Simple в утвердительных, отрицательных и вопросительных предложениях
В этом упражнении нужно правильно использовать Past Simple в трех видах предложений.
Кстати, а вы уже скачали таблицы времен и словари?
- Словарь 500 – учебный словарь для начинающих
- Словарь 3000 – подборка из 3000 употребительных слов по частям речи и темам
- Все времена глагола в таблицах – полезный справочник-шпаргалка по грамматике
- I made a mistake. – Я совершил ошибку.
- We broke the rules. – Мы нарушили правила.
- Denise shared her Birthday photos. – Дениз выложила (поделилась) свои фото с Дня рожденья.
- People did not like the stranger. – Людям не нравился чужеземец.
- Did I say anything wrong? – Я что-то не так сказал?
- Did your aunt watch that movie yesterday? – Твоя тетя вчера смотрела этот фильм?
- You did not promise Danny to help. – Ты не обещал Денни помочь.
- She cut a sheet of paper. – Она разрезала лист бумаги.
Упражнение 4: Найдите ошибки в тексте
Прочитайте короткий и простой текст, в котором допущено несколько грубых ошибок. Сможете ли вы их найти?
|Rick didn’t wake up on the next day.||Рик не проснулся на следующий день.|
|He slept all week.||Он спал всю неделю.|
|When he woke up there was no one around.||Когда он проснулся, вокруг никого не было.|
|He came out of his room and went outside.||Он вышел из комнаты и пошел на улицу.|
|The street looked empty.||Улица выглядела пустой.|
|‘What happened?’||«Что произошло?» –|
|He asked himself.||Спросил он себя.|
|‘Where did everyone go?’||«Куда все ушли?»|
|Then he noticed someone around the corner.||Затем он заметил кого-то за углом.|
|A woman lay on the ground.||Женщина лежала на земле.|
|She didn’t look alive.||Она не выглядела живой.|
|But then she moved.||Но затем она шевельнулась.|
Если вы обнаружили ошибку, неточность или правильный ответ засчитывается как неправильный, пожалуйста, напишите в комментариях. Если у вас есть вопросы по заданиям, тоже напишите в комментариях 🙂
Здравствуйте! Меня зовут Сергей Ним, я автор этого сайта, а также книг, курсов, видеоуроков по английскому языку.
Спасибо, что зашли на мой сайт. Если вы хотите прокачать не только лексику и грамматику, но и Speaking, примите участие в моем 7-дневном разговором марафоне — это интересно и совершенно бесплатно!😊
Упражнения на времена английского глагола
Предлагаю Вам подборку разноуровневых упражнений на отработку темы «Времена глагола» в английском языке. Уровень упражнений варьируется от Pre-Intermediate до Upper – Intermediate. В упражнениях проверяется только активный залог. Все упражнения предлагаются с ответами. English Tenses Exercises are here!
Упражнения на времена английского глагола. Уровень Pre-Intermediate.
Упражнение 1. Join the two parts of sentences.
1. Fred plays tennis.
2. Fred is playing tennis.
3. Fred has played tennis.
4. Fred played tennis.
5. Fred was playing tennis.
6. Fred will play tennis.
b) for several times.
Упражнение 2. Copy the sentences and note if they refer to the present, past or future. Write the tense against each sentence.
Example: He cut his finger with a knife. (Simple Past)
- He often cuts himself.
- What time did John arrive?
- I never forget anything.
- Are you sitting comfortably?
- We drank a lot of Coke at the party.
- It was raining all night.
- The train will leave in a few minutes.
- I put on a clean shirt yesterday.
Упражнение 3. Put the following sentences into the correct tense: Simple Past, Simple Present, Present Continuous or Past Continuous, Present Perfect.
- I ________ (listen) to the radio while Mary __________ (cook) dinner.
- You __________ (buy) this book yesterday?
- Last Friday Jill __________ (go) home early because she __________ (want) to see a film.
- When your brother usually __________ (get) home in the evening?
- Jane always __________ (bring) us a nice present.
- What those people __________ (do) in the middle of the road?
- You __________ (read) this book?
- While Fred __________ (sleep), Judy __________ (watch) TV.
- When I __________ (be) young, I __________ (think) Mary __________ (be) nice — but now I __________ (think) she’s fantastic.
- Jill __________ (walk) home when she __________ (see) her husband’s car outside the cinema
- Look there! Sue and Tim __________ (run) to school.
- Jack’s father __________ (not work) in London — he __________ (not speak) English.
- Joe __________ (buy) a car yesterday.
- Their father often __________ (go) to rock concerts.
- While you __________ (sleep), mother __________ (arrive).
Упражнение 4. Исправьте ошибки.
- When she was younger, she has played tennis every day.
- It’s already 10:00, but Jane hasn’t finished her homework already.
- Joe crashed his car three times since Christmas.
- Did you done your homework, or have you been watching TV?
- Karl has been driving since five years.
- This hotel has been already in business for twenty years.
Упражнения на времена английского глагола. Уровень Intermediate.
Упражнение 5. Put the verbs in brackets in the correct tense form (Present Simple, Present Perfect, Present Continuous, Past Simple, Past Continuous).
- Alice . (not to take) the bus to school every day. She usually . (to walk) to school.
- (to take) … you the bus to get to school or . (to walk) you?
- Who is this man? I . (to think) that I . (to know) him, but I . (to forget) his name.
- The children . (to have) a good time in the park yesterday. They . (to give) small pieces of bread to the ducks. Then they . (to take) pictures of themselves.
- Where are the children? They . (to watch) TV in the room now. Some minutes ago they . (to play) a game.
- Now I am in my class. I. (to sit) at my desk. I always . (to sit) at the same desk.
Упражнение 6. Раскройте скобки употребляя глаголы в Present Simple, Future Simple, Present Continuous или поставьте конструкцию to be going + to inf.
- When you_____ (know) your examination results?
- Kathy_____ (travel) to Caracas next month to attend a conference.
- Do you have any plans for lunch today? — I _____ (meet) Shannon at the Sham Cafe in an hour. Do you want to join us?
- I ____ (buy) a bicycle for my son for his birthday next month. Do you know anything about bikes for kids? — Sure. What do you want to know?
- How do you like your new job? — I don’t start it until tomorrow. I_____ (give) you an answer next week.
- I suppose he_____ (talk) about his new invention.
- Why are you packing your suitcase? — I_____ (leave) for Los Angeles in a couple of hours.
- My regular doctor, Dr. Jordan, _____ (attend) a conference in Las Vegas next week, so I hope I _____ (meet) her partner, Dr. Peterson, when I _____ (go) for my appointment next Friday.
- What time class _____ (begin) tomorrow morning? — It_____ (begin) at eight o’clock sharp.
- The coffee shop _____ (open) at seven o’clock tomorrow morning. I’ll meet you there at 7:15. — Okay. I’ll be there.
Упражнение 7. Раскройте скобки употребляя глаголы в Future Continuous, Present Continuous, Future Simple или поставьте конструкцию to be going + to inf.
- At 5 o’clock tomorrow he _______ (work).
- He can’t come at noon tomorrow because he _______ (give) a lesson at that time.
- She_______ (read) an interesting book the whole evening tomorrow.
- At 10 o’clock tomorrow morning he_______ (talk) to his friend.
- You will recognize her when you see her. She_______ (wear) a yellow hat.
- He_______ (have a party) on Saturday 4th December in London at 10 pm.
- In the next days you _______ (visit) famous sights.
- Jeanne and Paul_______ (move) to London next month.
- Leave the washing up. -I _______ (do) it later.
- This time tomorrow I _______ (lie) on the beach.
- Look out! You _______ (spill) your tea!
Упражнение 8. Упражнение раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Present Continuous, Present Perfect, Present Perfect Continuous, Past Simple.
- Aren’t you about to finish with the dishes? You _______ (wash) the dishes for thirty minutes or more. How long can it take you to wash the dishes?
- We _______ (go) to the Steak House restaurant many times. The food is excellent.
- A: What is that sound? B: A car alarm _______ (ring) somewhere down the street. It _______ (drive) me crazy —I wish it would stop! It _______ (ring) for more than twenty minutes.
- Can you translate this note from Stockholm? I understood Swedish when I _______ (be) a child, but I _______ (forget) it all.
- What’s that dent in the side of the car? You _______ (have) an accident?
- I’m sorry, John’s not here; he _______ (go) to the dentist. He _______ (have) trouble with a tooth for some time.
- This cassette recorder is broken. You _______ (play) about with it?
- Your Italian is very good. You _______ (study) it long?
- Do you mind if I clear the table? You _______ (have) enough to eat?
- Ann never _______ (go) camping. She _______ (not sleep) in a tent.
- Frank, where have you been? We _______ (wait) for you since 1 p.m.
- I’m not surprised he _______ (fail) that exam. He _______ (not / work) hard recently.
Упражнение 9. Pаскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Present Perfect, Past Simple или Present Perfect Continuous.
- Oh no! The children _______ (cook). Look at the state of this kitchen!
- How many times Wendy _______ (be) late for work this week?
- I’m going to give that cat some food. It _______ (sit) on the doorstep for hours. I’m sure it’s starving.
- I _______ (do) grammar exercises all morning. I deserve a treat for lunch.
- You _______ (not / buy) your mother a present? That’s really mean of you.
- She _______ (work) in Australia for 2 years. Then she moved.
- Now where are my keys? This is the third time I _______ (lose) them today
- You _______ (ever/play) chess? You should try it. I’m sure it’s the sort that you’d like.
- Oh do be quiet. You _______ (grumble) all day!
- Your tennis _______ (really / improve)! You _______ (practice) in secret?
Упражнения на времена английского глагола. Уровень Upper -Intermediate.
Упражнение 10. Подчеркните правильно выбранное время.
- I am writing in connection with the advertisement which appeared / has appeared on 12 April.
- I originally studied/ have studied chemistry at university. I graduated / have been graduating with a first-class degree.
- I now completed / have now completed a postgraduate degree in administration.
- I’ve been trying / I’ve tried to find a permanent job for a considerable time.
- Indeed, I have already worked /I have already been working for several companies on a temporary basis.
- In my first job, I was / have been responsible for marketing,
- I’ve been applying / have applied for several posts this year but I did not manage / have not managed to find what I’m looking for.
- The last job I applied / have applied for required applicants to speak some Japanese,
- I started learning / have been learning Spanish a few months ago I did not obtain / have not obtained a qualification in it yet.
- I did not apply / have not applied for a job with your company before.
- I hoped / have hoped that you would consider my application favourably.
- However, I have been waiting/ have waited for a reply for weeks and I still have not received / did not receive any answer.
Упражнение 11. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Present Perfect, Past Simple или Present Perfect Continuous.
- Today is Thursday, and John ________ (be) late twice this week; he________ (be) late yesterday and on Monday.
- I first________ (meet) George a month ago, and I ________ (meet) him several times since then.
- It is October now, and we ________ (do) a lot of work this year; we ________ (do) a lot last year too.
- She ________ (buy) a coat last winter, but she________ (not / buy) a new dress since 2008.
- It’s only the middle of the month, and he________ (spend) (already) most of his salary; he ________ (spend) $60 yesterday,
- I ________ (break) my leg in 1991, but I ________ (break) (never) my arm.
- He’s over sixty, and he’s still working. He ________ (work) hard all his life. When he ________ (be) a young man, he sometimes ________ (work) all night.
- The postman ________ (come) at eight yesterday, but it’s now half past eight and he ________ (not / come) yet.
- Today is May 25th. Ted ________ (not / be) absent this month.
- He ________ (feel) extremely ill when he went to hospital, but he ________ (feel) much better since he came out of hospital a month ago.
1 – a, 2 – c, 3 – b, 4 – f,5 – d, 6 – e.
1 Present Simple/indefinite, 2 Past Simple/Indefinite, 3 Present Simple/indefinite, 4 Present Continuous/Progressive, 5 Past Simple/Indefinite, 6 Past Continuous/Progressive, 7 Future Simple / Indefinite, 8 Past Simple/Indefinite
1 was listening / was cooking, 2 did you buy, 3 went / wanted, 4 does your brother usually get, 5 brings, 6 are people doing, 7 have you read, 8 was sleeping / was watching, 9 was /thought /was / think, 10 was walking / saw, 11 are running, 12 doesn’t work / doesn’t speak, 13 bought, 14 goes, 15 were sleeping / arrived.
1 has played ->played, 2 already -> yet, 3 crashed -> has crashed, 4 Did ->have, 5 since -> for, 6 has been already -> has already been
1 doesn’t take /walks, 2 Do you take / Do you walk, 3 think / know /have forgotten, 4 had / gave /took, 5 are watching / were playing, 6 am sitting / sit
1 will you know, 2 is travelling, 3 am meeting, 4 am going to buy, 5 will give, 6 is going to talk, 7 am leaving, 8 is attending / will meet /go, 9 does class begin / begins, 10 opens.
1 will be working, 2 will be giving, 3 will be reading, 4 will be talking, 5 will be wearing, 6 will be having / is having, 7 will visit, 8 are moving, 9 will do, 10 will be lying, 11 will spill
1 have been washing, 2 have gone, 3 is ringing/ is driving /has been ringing, 4 was /have forgotten, 5 have you had, 6 has gone / has had, 7 have you played, 8 have you been studying, 9 have you had, 10 has never gone / has never slept, 11 have been waiting, 12 has failed, hasn’t been working
1 have been cooking, 2 has Wendy been, 3 has been sitting, 4 have been doing, 5 haven’t you bought, 6 worked, 7 have lost, 8 have you ever played, 9 have been grumbling, 10 has really improved, have you practiced
1 appeared, 2 studied / graduated, 3 have now completed, 4 I’ve been trying, 5 have already worked, 6 was, 7 have applied / have not managed, 8 applied, 9 started learning/ have not obtained, 10 have not applied, 11 have hoped, 12 have been waiting/ have not received
1 has been / was, 2 met /have met, 3 have done / did, 4 bought / hasn’t bought, 5 has already spent / spent, 6 broke / have never broken, 7 has been working hard / was / worked, 8 came / hasn’t come, 9 hasn’t been, 10 felt / has felt
На сайте есть упражнения на все времена английского глагола, а также примеры предложений в разных временах. Найти все это можно в рубрике ВРЕМЕНА.
Понравилось? Сохраните на будущее и поделитесь с друзьями!
84 Комментариев для «Упражнения на времена английского глагола»