Past Simple VS Past Continuous. Упражнения (уровень 2- intermediate)
В этом уроке вы найдете упражнения на Past continuous и Past Simple. Эти английские времена часто путают, так как их использование в предложении часто НЕ зависит от его перевода, а подчиняется определенным схемам. Вы изучили эти схемы в уроке The Past Continuous Tense. Случаи употребления в английском языке.
Past Simple VS Past Continuous. Упражнения. Уровень 2 (intermediate)
Перед тем, как начинать выполнять упражнения на сравнение Past Simple и Past Continuous, давайте вспомним, как составлять отрицательные и вопросительные упражнения в этих временах. ОТВЕТЫ вы найдете в конце урока.
Упражнение 1. Определите время глагола в предложениях ниже и сделайте данные предложения отрицательными.
- I was at home.
- We were at the lesson.
- We were learning English.
- You were eating lunch.
- You ate a sandwich for lunch.
- It was raining hard.
- It rained cats and dogs.
Упражнение 2. Определите время глагола в предложениях ниже и сделайте данные предложения вопросительными.
- She was in New York.
- She visited her friends in New York.
- He was speaking to John.
- He spoke to John about his work.
- They were in the office.
- They were working in the office.
- They finished the work.
- from … till — с … до…
- all day – весь день
- the whole evening – целый вечер
Упражнение 3. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Past Simple или Past Continuous.
- I (to go) to the cinema yesterday.
- I (to go) to the cinema at four o’clock yesterday.
- They (to go) to the cinema when they met me.
- She (to learn) words the whole evening yesterday.
- She (to learn) words when mother came home.
- He (to work) in the garden yesterday.
- He (to work) in the garden from five till eight yesterday.
- My sister is fond of reading. She (to read) the whole evening yesterday.
- The children (to do) their lessons at six o’clock yesterday.
- I (not to play) the piano yesterday. I (to write) a letter to my friend.
- I (not to play) the piano at four o’clock yesterday. I (to read) a book.
- He (not to sleep) when father came home. He (to do) his homework.
- When I (to go) to school the day before yesterday, I met Mike and Pete. They (to talk) and (to eat) an ice-cream.
- The baby (to sleep) the whole evening yesterday. She (feel) bad.
- What your father (to do) from eight till nine yesterday?
- Why she (to cry) when I saw her yesterday?
Упражнение 4. Заполните пропуски в диалоге, используя глаголы в Past Simple или Past Continuous.
Ann: How ____ your holiday at the seaside?
Ben: Oh, it ____ wonderful, thank you! We ____ a great fun!
Ann: What (you / do)______________there?
Ben: In the mornings, while my parents still (have breakfast) _______, I (play) _____ tennis with my friend Harry. After that, at about 10 o’clock we (swim) _____ in the sea and (play)______ football on the beach.
Ann: Yes, that sounds good! And what (you / do)______ in the afternoons after your lunch?
Ben: After lunch (we / go)______ on some interesting excursions around the place where (we / stay) _______ that week. In the evenings after dinner (we /watch)_______ films on TV or (we / play) ______ chess with my Dad.
Ann: I see, and what (you / do)_______ between 5 pm and dinner time?
Ben: Well, when the weather was nice and warm, my friend and I (have fun)_______ at the seaside. We (swim)________or (play)_________volleyball on the beach.
Ann: Fantastic! Next time I’ll go with you.
Упражнение 5. Переведите предложения на английский язык, используя глаголы в Past Simple или Past Continuous.
- В то время, когда Катя путешествовала по Америке, она узнала, что известная поп-звезда выступает в Лос-Анджелесе.
- Я смотрел телевизор в то время, когда случилось это ужасное происшествие.
- Когда прозвенел звонок, ученики все еще писали сочинение.
- Что Вы делали вчера в пять часов вечера? — Вчера в пять часов вечера я ехал на машине и слушал радио.
- Ты видела Сергея и Михаила в воскресенье? — Да, когда я их видела, они играли в волейбол в парке. — Странно, они обычно играют в парке по субботам.
Упражнение 6. Заполните пропуски в диалоге, используя глаголы в Past Simple или Past Continuous.
- ____ you _____ (to wait) for me at 5 p.m.? — Yes, I ____.
- They_____ (to finish) their work at 11 o’clock and then ______ (to come) home.
- It _____ (to get) dark, so we______(to decide) to return.
- While Jack _______ (to translate) the text, we______ (to work) on the project.
- A young man (to run) out into the street. He ______(to carry) a cat in his hands.
- What______you______(to do) when I ______(to phone) you yesterday?
- John______(to listen) to the radio when the batteries ______(to run) out.
- The robbers______(to steal) the car and they _____ (to drive) away.
- She______(to go) to buy a dress, but a thief _____ (to steal) all her money.
- She______ (to slip),______ (to fall) over and______ (to break) her leg.
- I ____ a light in your window as I ______ (to go) by.
- Yesterday while I ______ (to walk) down Cherry Lane, I ______ (to meet) my friend Thomas.
Упражнение 7. Заполните пропуски, используя while или when.
Союз while подчеркивает длительность и глагол после него ставится в Continuous, в то время как when подчеркивает факт, и глагол после него ставится в Simple.
СРАВНИТЕ While I was having a bath, the telephone rang. VS I was having a bath when the telephone rang.
1. I was waiting for the school bus … I saw Nathan. 2. My mum preparing dinner … telephone rang. 3. Paul and Mary finished their work … Granny was making tea. 4. The vase fell from the shelf, … I was watching TV. 5. I was driving along … a dog ran onto the road. 6. My sister was washing her hair … she was listening to the music.
Упражнение 8. Заполните пропуски глаголами в Past Continuous или Past Simple и переведите предложения.
- Peter (stay) at a seaside hotel on holiday when he (meet) his friend.
- While I (have) lunch the sun (come) out again.
- Who … you (talk to) on the telephone when I came?
- While Mary (read) the letter she (notice) many spelling mistakes.
- She (go) to bed when suddenly she (see) a mouse.
- We (sit) down to dinner when the doorbell (ring).
- Mary’s grandfather (hurt) his back while he (dig) in the vegetable garden yesterday.
- While he (sleep), the doctor (arrive).
- What … she (wear) when you (see) her at the party?
- What… she (want) when she (visit) you yesterday?
- Somebody (knock) on the front door while I (have) breakfast.
- How much money … you (spend) last Christmas?
- My father (give) me money and I (spend) it all in one day.
- Peter (not/feel) very well, so he (consult) his doctor.
- Where …you (live) at this time last year?
- Peter (not/look) at me as he (speak).
- When the ambulance (arrive), the patient (sleep) like a child.
- I (read) when he (call).
- They (wait) for the bus when I (see) them.
- What …you (do) when you (see) them?
Упражнение 9. Раскройте скобки и поставьте глаголы в нужной форме.
I ____ (meet) a man in a pub once and he _____ (tell) me this story. A friend of his______ (work) on his car one morning. This friend ______(have) a large dog. Before he _______ (start) work, he ________ (put) the dog in the car and _________ (close) the door. Well, he was under his car, ________ (work) busily, when suddenly he _________ (hear) a mechanical noise, and the car ________ (start) to move forward. He ________ (jump) up, but too late — the car ___________ (roll) slowly down the hill, and the dog __________ (sit) at the wheel as if it _________ (drive). Finally, it ________ (come) to rest in a neighbour’s garden.
Упражнение 10. Раскройте скобки и поставьте глаголы в нужной форме.
When I ____ (go) shopping, I _____ (see) my friend. I ___ (say) ‘Hello!’ and we____ (start) talking. While we _____ (talk), a car _____ (run into) a man on a bike. When we _______ (see) the accident, I ______ (phone) for an ambulance. While I _______ (wait) for the ambulance, a policeman _______ (arrive). He (ask) us some questions. The ambulance _______ (come), while I ________ (talk) to the policeman. The ambulance _______ (take) the man to hospital and we _______ (go) to a cafe for a cup of coffee. While we ______ (drink) our coffee, we _______ (discuss) about the accident.
ОТВЕТЫ Ответы доступны только для пользователей, оплативших подписку «ОТВЕТЫ».
Упражнения Past Simple и Past Continuous с ответами
Сегодняшний материал посвящен отработке двух прошедших времен – Past Simple и Past Continuous.
Если Вы забыли, что это за времена, повторить можно здесь:
На сайте также есть упражнения отдельно по каждому из данных времен:
Готовы? Давайте приступать.
Past Simple vs. Past Continuous Exercises.
Упражнение 1. Choose the correct verb form (Past Simple or Past Continuous) to complete the sentences.
- The film was rubbish, so we left / were leaving the cinema and went / were going to the cybercafé.
- I didn’t like / wasn’t liking the program we watched / were watching, so I turned / was turning off the TV.
- Dave rang / was ringing me while I did / was doing my homework.
- As I fell / was falling asleep, I heard/was hearing a strange noise.
- I dropped / was dropping my keys while I ran / was running for the bus.
- The competition judges didn’t know / weren’t knowing whose food they tasted / were tasting.
Упражнение 2. Complete the email with the Past Simple or Past Continuous of these verbs. You will need to use some verbs more than once.
Decide / get / give / go / happen / not hurt / play / try / want
Last weekend Ben and I visited that new leisure center that everyone is talking about. We 1) ___________ to the ice-skating rink first. Ben slipped a few times while he 2) ___________ to do acrobatic tricks, but luckily he 3) ___________ himself. After that, we went to the main hall to see what 4) __________ there. On one side of the hall a rock band 5) __________ while on the other side some skateboarders 6) ____________ a display. The Skateboarders were fantastic so we 7) ___________ to stay and watch them.
After the exhibition, we both 8) __________ to go to the shops inside the center. But it was nearly rush hour and the shops 9) ___________ really crowded so we 10) ____________ to the multiplex cinema to see The Illusionist. What a fantastic film!
Упражнение 3. Match the beginnings (1-7) with the endings (a-g). Then complete the sentences with the past simple or past continuous of the verbs in brackets.
1. He ___________ (climb) down the side of a building
2. The sun _________ (shine) brightly
3. The hot water tank _________ (explode)
4. When we _________ (get) to the concert
5. I _________ (not know) that my friends
6. While you _________ (lie) on the beach
7. Last year, Simon _________ (give up) painting
a) while I __________ (have) a shower.
b) the band ___________ (play) my favourite song.
c) when suddenly the rope _________ (break).
d) and __________ (take up) sculpture instead.
e) ___________ (prepare) a surprise party for me.
f) when I __________ (get up) this morning.
g) we ___________ (study) for our exams!
Упражнение 4. Вставьте Past Simple или Past Continuous
- An amazing display of traditional-style canoes ____ last week in Portland (to begin).
- Last month, we ________ the most amazing opportunity to head down to Nashville (to have).
- These ladies__________ an apartment when they ____ both _______ English in Jakarta, Indonesia (to share, to teach).
- Last year we________ too tired even to make quality home design (to be).
- While the tourists __________ at the beach, animators __________ coffee in the bar (to dance, to have).
- Last time there ________ a snowfall in November in 2016 (to be).
- A Qatari sheikh ________ more than £1billion on his art collection last year (to spend).
- The hot-blooded and furious Tybalt ________ a grudge against Romeo (to bear).
- While we __________ to a dive site we __________ the advantages of Utila, the smallest and most unspoiled of the Bay Islands of Honduras (to boat, to discuss).
- In the late 1600s, the British ________ all non-English ships from trading with colonies (to forbid).
- We ________ busy building our new country house that year (to be).
- Our friend’s dog __________ us as we__________ around the neighborhood (to follow, to walk).
- The student __________ up the escalator while it __________ (to run, to move).
Ответы к упражнениям.
1 — Left / went, 2 — didn’t like / were watching / turned, 3 – rang / was doing, 4 — was falling / heard, 5-dropped / was running, 6 — didn’t know / were tasting
Exercise 2. 1.went 2.was trying 3.didn’t hurt 4.was happening 5.was playing 6.were giving 7.decided 8.wanted 9.were getting 10.went
1C — was climbing, broke
2G — was shining, got up
3A — exploded, was having
4B – got, was/were playing
5E – didn’t know, were preparing
6G – were lying, were studying
7D – gave up, took up
1 began, 2 had, 3 were sharing / were teaching, 4 were, 5 were dancing / were having, 6 was, 7 spent, 8 bore, 9 were boating / were discussing, 10 forbade, 11 were, 12 was following /were walking, 13 was running / was moving
Понравилось? Сохраните на будущее и поделитесь с друзьями!
3 Комментариев для «Упражнения Past Simple и Past Continuous с ответами»
Добрый день. Наверное в 13-м предложении правильно будет сказать was running & was moving?
А почему в Упражнении 4. 1. An amazing display of traditional-style canoes ____ last week in Portland (to open).