Participial Constructions – упражнения с ответами
Данный урок – 9 из серии упражнений для уровня Upper-Intermediate и Advanced. Автор упражнений — Затонская А.С.
В данном уроке мы отработаем такие темы как:
- the Participle,
- the Objective Participial Construction,
- the Subjective Participial Construction,
- the Nominative Absolute Participial Construction,
- the Prepositional Absolute Participial Construction.
Упражнения построены на основе лексической темы Sport.
Упражнения на отработку причастных оборотов в английском.
Упражнение 1. Transform the given sentences into sentences with the Participle or Participial groups where it is possible. Remember that the Participle II doesn’t usually express priority, but has mainly the passive meaning and therefore phrases like “Человек, принесший письмо” must be expressed in English by a clause.
- He felt that he was falling on the ice and tried to catch the puck with his stick.
- After he had set up a new record in hammer throwing he was even more tired and exhausted then during his hard coaching.
- For a few moments he stood and watched how the ball was approaching the gate.
- He has won the match and decided to rest a little.
- He scored a goal. He evened the score.
- A sportsman was running very quickly. He tried to break the world record.
- The athlete was training hard. He intended to win the championship.
- The wrestler defeated his opponent and became the winner of the World Cup.
- The athlete was balancing on a balance beam. He didn’t pay attention at how his fans were shouting.
Упражнение 2. Translate into English.
- Хорошо разбежавшись, спортсмен высоко прыгнул.
- Спортивная одежда, выпускаемая этой фирмой, одна из лучших в мире.
- Человеку, решившему стать чемпионом по бодибилдингу, необходимо долго и упорно тренироваться по специально разработанной программе.
- Спортивное обмундирование и оборудование продолжает совершенствоваться; недавно, например, появилась новая модель кроссовок, продуманная до мелочей.
Objective Participial Construction and Subjective Participial Construction – упражнения.
Упражнение 3. Fulfill the tasks using the Objective Participial Construction and the Subjective Participial Construction. Transform the given sentences into the sentences with the Objective Participial Construction and the Subjective Participial Construction
She saw him scoring / score the goal
He was seen to set a new record
He was seen setting a new record
- Many people saw how he got the ball into the basket.
- She saw him. He was passing a ball to another football player.
- They heard the fans. They were screaming.
- The coach saw the athlete. He was training.
- The boys were playing cricket. We watched them.
- She watched her son. He was diving in the swimming pool.
- One could see how he was training in shot-putting.
Упражнение 4. Translate into English.
- Видели, как он упорно тренировался в водных видах спорта. Наверное, он собирался принять участие в соревнованиях.
- Видно было, как спортсмены достигли финиша.
- Часто видели, как она занималась художественной гимнастикой в спортивном зале.
- Видно было, как спортсмен прыгнул и сбил планку.
- Заметили, что он начал заниматься альпинизмом.
- Ее нашли наблюдающей за ходом тренировки.
- Он оставил ракетку лежащей на корте.
- Было слышно, как фигуристка скользит по катку.
- Судья! Я видел, как он забил гол!
- Было слышно, как тренер говорил что-то спортсменам перед началом матча.
- Видели, как он пересек поле и «отбил» мяч у противника.
Nominative Absolute Participial Construction and Prepositional Absolute Participial Construction упражнения
Упражнение 5. Fulfill the tasks using the Nominative Absolute Participial Construction and the Prepositional Absolute Participial Construction. Transform the given sentences into the sentences with the Nominative Absolute Participial Construction and the Prepositional Absolute Participial Construction
The match being over, the players went home
She watched the game very attentively, with her eyes fixed on the sport ground.
- The referee followed the competition very thoroughly. His attention was paid to the swimming pool.
- He has won the world championship and the Olympic Games. He could be sure that he had no rivals in the coming competitions.
- The court was clean. Now the match could be started.
- A children’s sport center was opened. After that much more children started going into different kinds of sports.
- The game was over. There was no possibility now to even the score.
- It has started to rain cats and dogs. Therefore, it was impossible to continue the football match.
- The sportsman has hurt his knee and that’s why he couldn’t take part in the championship.
Упражнение 6. Translate into English
- Поскольку оставалось всего 10 минут до начала матча, они прошли на стадион и заняли места на скамейке.
- Когда игра закончилась, поклонники спортсменов разошлись по домам.
- Так как корт намок, теннисный матч пришлось перенести на другой день.
- Известный конькобежец шел по улице, за ним следовала группа поклонников.
- Так как по телевизору показывали соревнования по хоккею, он решил провести вечер дома.
- Он выиграл соревнования, не прилагая почти никаких усилий.
- Он понял, что проиграл; его сердце бешено заколотилось.
Упражнение 7. It is well known that sport does people a lot of good – but different kinds of sport develop different skills. So make a classification of skills and kinds of sport which train them. Use the pattern:
“People playing tennis have good reaction; people playing chess develop their mental abilities”
Упражнение 7. Imagine that you are a commentator of sport competitions. You are very responsible and you want not only to describe everything in details but to give all the possible information about the sportsmen taking part in the competitions. But the broadcast time is expensive and you have to be precise. The following pattern may help you: “The sportsmen kicking the ball is …” or “training hard he achieved outstanding results …” and so on.
Упражнение 8. Describe the rules of any sport game. Do not forget that the description must be exact and precise, but detailed for everybody to understand it. You may use the pattern: “A man having a ball must … “
Упражнение 9. You are a member of the Committee, which is to decide what kinds of sport should be included in the Olympic Games. You prepare a report where you say what games, from your point of view should or should not be included. You must be precise and detailed, so you decide to use the Participle and Participial Constructions where possible.
Упражнение 10. You are an architect whose task is to make а project of a sport complex. Tomorrow you are to give the report about what you have already done. The Committee will be very strict and serious, so you want to sound business-like and scientific. You think that the use of the Participial Constructions will help you to produce the desired impression. You describe each item of the sport complex taking into consideration its function, advantages and disadvantages.
Participial constructions – ответы к упражнениям.
Упражнение 1. Возможные ответы.
- He felt like falling on the ice and tried to catch the puck with his stick.
- Having set up a new record in hammer throwing he was even more tired and exhausted then during his hard coaching.
- For a few moments he stood and watched the ball approaching / approach the gate.
- Нaving won the match he decided to rest a little.
- Having scored a goal, he evened the score.
- Running very quickly, the sportsman tried to break the world record.
- Training very hard, the athlete intended to win the championship.
- Having defeated his opponent, the wrestler became the winner of the World Cup.
- Balancing on a balance beam, the athlete didn’t pay attention at how his fans were shouting.
Упражнение 2. Возможные ответы.
- Having ran up well, the athlete jumped high.
- Sports clothing manufactured by this company is one of the best in the world.
- Having decided to become a champion bodybuilder, a person needs to train long and hard according to a specially planned program.
- Sports clothing and equipment continues to improve; for example, recently, a new model of carefully thought-out shoes has appeared.
- Не was seen to get the ball into the basket.
- She saw him passing / pass a ball to another football player.
- They heard the fans screaming.
- The coach saw the athlete training.
- We watched the boys playing cricket.
- She watched her son diving in the swimming pool.
- One could see him training in shot-putting.
Упражнение 4. Возможные ответы
- He was seen training hard in water sports. He was probably going to participate in competitions.
- The athletes were seen to reach the finish line.
- She was often seen practising in artistic gymnastics in the sports hall.
- The athlete was seen to jump and hit the bar.
- He was noticed to start to practise climbing.
- She was found watching training process.
- He left the racket lying on the court.
- I could hear the skater sliding on the ice rink.
- Referee! I saw him score a goal!
- I could hear the coach saying something to the athletes before the match.
- He was seen to cross the field and take the ball from the opponent.
- The referee followed the competition very thoroughly with his attention paid to the swimming pool.
- After winning the world championship and the Olympic Games he could be sure that he had no rivals in the coming competitions.
- The court being cleaned the match could be started.
- A children’s sport center being opened, much more children started going into different kinds of sports.
- The game being over, there was no possibility now to even the score.
- The weather being rainy, it was impossible to continue the football match.
- After hurting his knee, he couldn’t take part in the championship.
- 10 minutes being left before the match, they went to the stadium and took their places on the bench.
- The match being over, the fans of the athletes went home.
- The court being wet, the tennis match had to be postponed to another day.
- A famous skater was walking down the street with a group of fans following him.
- Hockey competitions being shown on TV, he decided to spend the evening at home.
- He won the event without making any effort.
- After realizing that he had lost; his heart went pounding.
Понравилось? Сохраните на будущее и поделитесь с друзьями!
2 Комментариев для «Participial Constructions – упражнения с ответами»
Participle. Упражнения (часть 2, уровень intermediate)
Продолжаем тему Participle. Упражнения этого урока помогут начинающим применить на практике свои знания по теме Participle I и Participle II в функции определения. Упражнения даны по мере возрастания сложности.
Participle. Упражнения на английское причастие
(в функции определения)
Упражнение 1 (повторение). Выберите подходящий вариант.
A: I’m so (exciting/ excited). I’ve just seen a very (interesting / interested) film.
B: Really? What was it?
A: It was a horror film (calling, called) «The White Moon».
B: Oh, horror films are so (frightening/ frightened). I never watch them.
A: I’m very (surprised/ surprising), all my friends watch them.
B: Not me. I like romantic films.
Al: I’m always (bored/ boring) when I watch them. Give me a good comedy or a horror film. They are so (excited / exciting).
Упражнение 2. Выберите подходящий вариант.
Have you ever heard of the Loch Ness Monster? Many people believe that there is a huge animal (living/lived) in Loch Ness in Scotland.
The animal is about 50 metres long (including/included ) its tail. Nobody knows anything about its (eating / eaten) habits. There are some photos of the animal (taking/ taken) by different people (visiting/ visited) the lake, but nobody can prove that they are real.
This animal (giving/ given) the nickname Nessie has been one of the greatest tourists attractions to the area for years. Expeditions (sent / sending) to Scotland tried very hard to find and catch Nessie. And so did individuals (looking/ looked) for the animal. But there has been no result yet.
Nessie is still a great mystery. Very few things (knowing/ known ) about Nessie are: it has a long and thin neck like a giraffe’s, its head is quite small and looks like a horse’s, its colour is dark yellow and its habitat is the deepest and the coldest part of the lake.
Упражнение 3. Образуйте Participle I или Participle II от глаголов в скобках.
- Why have you got that … (worry) expression on your face? Are you in trouble?
- The teacher was … (disappoint) with the test results.
- Jack’s answer was … (disappoint).
- I went to the exhibition of French art last week and I was very much … (impress).
- We saw a lot of … (fascinate) paintings.
- I was so … (excite) that I couldn’t say a word.
- The trip to the mountains was so … (excite) — we enjoyed every minute of it.
- I’m … (bore) — I have nothing to do.
- The lecture was so … (bore) that a few listeners fell asleep.
- We liked the Room of Horrors but some of the tricks were rather … (frighten).
- It was raining so heavily that the little puppy got … (frighten) and hid under the bed.
- Little John’s questions were … (surprise).
- We were … (surprise) at the news.
- The boy … (translate) the story is the best pupil in our class.
- The girl … (wash) the window is my sister.
- … (do) his homework Tom looked through the window several times.
- The work … (do) was very interesting.
- Everything … (write) on the blackboard is correct.
- … (write) the letter Olga thought about her summer holidays.
Упражнение 4. Перепишите предложение, используя причастный оборот (или причастие) вместо придаточного предложения.
= The old castle built five hundreds ago belongs to the university. Старый замок, построенный 500 лет назад, принадлежит университету.
- The holidaymakers who were wearing light clothes walked along the beach.
- The lands that were discovered by Columbus were rich in gold.
- The children who were excited by the news shouted “Hoorah” three times.
- The hedges that divided the fields were getting yellow.
- The young lady who was standing at the door looked very attractive.
- The two banks which were connected by a bridge were high and looked dangerous.
- Betty Smith heard the noise of a child who was crying.
- He entered the yard and smelt something that was burning.
Упражнение 5. Translate into English.
- situate – располагать
- divide – разделять
- connect – связывать
- excite – возбуждать
- cover (with/by) – покрывать
- What do we call – Как мы называем людей
- Города, расположенные на побережье, часто являются портами.
- Поля, разделенные живыми изгородями, всегда выглядят очень привлекательно.
- Места, связанные с Шекспиром, находятся главным образом в Стратфорде-на-Эйвоне.
- Как мы называем людей, живущих в Шотландии и говорящих на шотландском диалекте?
- Дети, взволнованные цирковым представлением, решили стать акробатами.
- Есть ли в Британии местности, покрытые лесами?
Упражнение 6. Translate into English.
- Птица, сидящая на дереве, воробей.
- На дереве сидит воробей.
- Изгородь, разделяющая наши сады, старая.
- Ее нужно сломать. (must be)
- Спрятанное письмо нашли дети.
- Письмо, написанное мной, только что отправлено.
- Сломанные игрушки лежат в коробке.
- Эти игрушки сломали дети.
- Спящую собаку зовут Рекс.
Упражнение 7. Translate into English.
- Лицо, нарисованное на бумаге, похоже (look like) на тебя.
- Его не видели вчера в школе.
- Ему следует позвонить.
- Человек, сидящий в кресле, мой отец.
- Письмо было отправлено вчера.
- Мальчики, идущие в школу, мои друзья.
- Мальчики идут в школу.
- Человек, посланный тобой, только что пришел.
- Восхищенный пейзажем, я стоял на берегу озера.